- Setting up a Amazon S3 bucket for static hosting on Amazon Web Services
- Setting up permissions and connect Bucket and IAM
- Setting up permissions and to handle API keys
- Use Jekyll-assets for fingerprinted assets
- Use s3_website for deploying to Amazon S3
- Use Amazon CloudFront as a CDN
- Use your custom domain with Route 53
Cloudflare now supports SSL in the free plans. This makes it very easy to activate https. You don’t need to buy a certificate the regular way.
There are many reasons. Here are some good reasons you should switch to HTTPS for your static site today:
- Security: the traffic is encrypted between your users and your website
- Protect your users
- Protect your content
- Trust. You show the users that your website is secure using https.
- Better Analytics. Read this
- Better SEO. https-as-ranking-signal.
Create a Amazon S3 bucket
Read my guide if you like. Your bucket must have the same name as your domain (mywebsite.com in this example). Copy your S3 endpoint, ex.
Deploy your site to S3:
Get an account on Cloudflare. Add your website by clicking “Add site”.
Change the name servers on your domain, if you have your domain on another registrar. Wait for the changes to propagate. You’ll find Cloudflares nameservers in your dashboard. They look like this:
Add a CNAME record that points to your S3 Bucket. Add your domain
mywebsite.com as Name and S3-endpoint as Value. Turn on Cloudflare by making sure the status icon is orange.
Redirect http to https
Under Page Rules, add the following URL pattern:
http://*mywebsite.com/*. Then turn on “Always use https”.
If the DNS has refreshed its cache and you’ve succeded in deploying your Jekyll-sajt to Amazon S3, using Cloudflare SSL.
How do i invalidate the cache?
Head over to the Cloudflare dashboard and the tab Caching -> Purge. Or use a cli tool like cloudflare-cli
Look under Cache -> Browser Cache Expiration. Your can Determine the length of time CloudFlare instructs a visitor’s browser to cache files. During this period, the browser loads the files from its local cache, speeding up page loads.